Become A Volunteer
What the Volunteer Roles Involve
Become a Volunteer trishaw Pilot or Companion and make a difference! Riding with Olivia seeks to provide elderly and disadvantaged people the chance to feel the wind in their hair again by offering free cycle rides on our trishaw. We want to encourage elderly and disadvantaged members in our community to get back out into their environment, interact with the community and help to fight loneliness and isolation.
For Pilots and Companions, the role involves:
- Meeting and greeting passengers.
- Chatting to passengers when out on a ride.
- Following policies and procedures.
- Reporting any issues arising to the relevant parties, such as carers, volunteer coordinators and others.
- Sharing feedback from passengers.
- Administering basic First Aid when necessary.
- Occasional meetings with other volunteers.
- Possibility of transporting passengers to and from the start of the ride.
The Pilots role also includes:
- Checking the trishaw before and after a ride for safety using a checklist.
- Peddling the trishaw [which is battery-power assisted].
- Communicating with carers to arrange rides and paperwork.
The Companions role includes:
- Accompanying the ride as a backup assistant in case of problems, either:
- As the second passenger if solo passenger in trishaw.
- On a separate bicycle [supplied by companion] if two passengers in trishaw.
- Assisting Pilot when required [eg when loading/unloading passengers]
Required Skills, Experience, and Personal Qualities
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Confident, experienced cyclists.
- Warm, friendly, and enthusiastic.
- Patient and can show empathy.
- Able to communicate well with a diverse range of people.
- Able to follow policies and procedures, and in so doing, stay within the boundaries of the volunteer role.
- Able to ensure the safety of our passengers at all times.
- Reliable, organised and can make a regular commitment.
What the Volunteer Roles Offer
This role provides the opportunity to:
- Interact with people who might otherwise be quite isolated.
- Volunteer in an active, outdoor setting.
- Build relationships with elderly members of our community.
We require all volunteers to:
- Provide two references and the role requires a clear NZ Police vetting.
- Familiarise themselves with the vision and values of our:
- Undergo Riding with Olivia approved first aid training course.
Due to the vulnerability of our passengers, we ask that anyone with flu or COVID symptoms stay away from our facility until at least a week after they feel better.
Pilots are to attend and pass practical training sessions to learn to safely ride the trishaw and look after passengers.
Where possible we ask volunteers to provide some regular time slots so that we can schedule rides accordingly.
Anything required for the operation of the trishaw should be provided already. If you need to pay for something unexpected (like a repair) then you will be reimbursed so long as a receipt is provided and the item is a necessity for the ride.
If you wish to have coffee and cake with your passenger, we ask that this is covered by the volunteer.
- Volunteers are asked to provide their own facemasks.
- Volunteers are asked to provide and wear their own cycle helmets.
- The cost of NZ Police Vetting will be met by Riding with Olivia.
- Volunteer training cost will be met by Riding with Olivia unless the volunteer opts to pay.
Become a Volunteer
To apply for a volunteer role at Riding with Olivia, please download our PDF application form, complete it and email it back to us.